New edition of Janet Balaskas classic, bestselling guide to active pregnancy and childbirth. Brings back the common sense that is overlooked by modern obstetrics.
When this book was first published it was totally groundbreaking. In a decade, Janet Balaskas has gained the respect of midwives and challenged hospital general practice to change to better suit pregnant women.
Throughout time and the world over, women in labour have chosen to move about freely and actively – to find the most comfortable position for child birth. Only recently have women have been told to lie on their backs – in a position that defies the laws of nature and gravity.
Active Birth helps parents to prepare for and to experience a more liberated, more natural and therefore more comfortable childbirth.
Active Birth wisdom applies throughout the pregnancy. This book shows how to develop the body`s natural resources and to deal instinctively with the experience of childbirth:
- Supportive quotes from Mothers who have been through an Active Birth
- Pre- & Post-natal Yoga and breathing exercises
- Step by step guide to what birth can feel like and the different options available to Mums at all stages.
- Recovery after the birth.
- Active Birth is a hot topic. Women are wise about their health and want to have a natural, not a medical, pregnancy.
- Over 180 clear black and white photographs and line drawings throughout.
- Fully updated and extended with new information – includes sections on Water Birth and Recovery After Birth.
- Revised and expanded prenatal and postnatal exercises with step by step photographs.
- A detailed up-to-the minute section covering every aspect of Active Birth at home and in hospital and the Active Birth Movement.
From the Publisher
Every year the number of home births is increasing – Active Birth is not a trend it`s a definite social change and women want to know about it.
Active Birth is increasingly practiced in UK hospitals. Birthing pools are standard – and over half in the UK are supplied by Active Birth.